- With his new album, The Hanged Man, Daniel Rafn - exploratory-pop producer and singer - delves deeper into his subconscious through the aid of the titular tarot card. In addition to the lighter, more meditative merits of the card, the album also uses the image as a tool of self-reflection, and inversion, allowing the querent to access more primal places. Seeking to uncover and exorcise his darker personas, he seems to be unafraid to let his villains exist present-tense in some of his songs, speaking their piece unfiltered, as he works to find accord with them.
About Warble Records
- WarbleRecords.com is the web-cave for musicians Sustentacula, Seance Crasher, Julian Snow, David Liabraaten, Daniel Rafn, & Coronation. While our styles may differ, our dedication is the same. Warble is a deliver-er of hotly contested art, curated by perfectionists eager to learn. We live in Portland, Salem & Silverton, Oregon.
Mr. Warble debuted in the mid-1990s as an unusually unstable microcassette message. The first Warble long-player was pretty unremarkable, but nonetheless did feature drum wizardry from one "Skippy", later of Black Francis' band. The die was firmly cast with Julian Snow's third Warbler, "Doodle" (1998). Concurrently the elder Rafn (David) set up with his "seminal Portland post-rock" band Kremlin Bronx.
The two trains (J. Snow + Rafns) collided in the fall of 2001 at a Bloody Muse show in Keizer. Meanwhile, the Warble imprint took up temporary hibernation while David LiaBraaten and Julian launched Subsun. Sneaking back into circulation c.2007 with low-profile releases led by Keizer lo-fi legend Peter DeGroot, Warble consolidated its position in 2010 with Daniel's sharp website and a friendly takeover of the Subsun catalog (including releases by Root Villa and Anbot Rodroid). David L. returning to the fold c. 2011, the big tent now warbles into the future.
- "Rafn co-produced the new record with Riley Geare of Unknown Mortal Orchestra, ...Buzzy waves of synth and sun-drunk guitar riffs struggle for prominence before coalescing into woozy melodies. Opener and album standout 'I Even Love You More' executes this choreographed battle to stunning pop-rock effect, though it's made great by a nostalgic mid-track fakeout and Rafn's perfectly aligned harmonies with his brother Daniel and Tammy Barnes of Reptaliens." -Ciara Dolan, Portland Mercury
- The second single from Daniel Rafn's tarot-inspired concept albumThe Hanged Man, The I and The All uncovers the will of the artist beyond the dichotomy of winning and losing, or more practically, success and failure.
- Coronations' latest single and equally strong b-side Black Box b/w Sketchy gives us recordings of two crowd-favorite numbers they've been playing live for months now - and we're happy to finally be able to "take them home," so to speak.
The two songs are available digitally and on limited edition 7-inch vinyl. Follow links to Bandcamp to get it.
- Grounds For Dismissal documents Sustentacula as a five-piece, with bassist Rick Dance, and lead vocalist Lilly Gamaney. The current trio is David Rafn, Alyssa Reed-Stuewe, & Ryan Stuewe. In addition to being recorded by Kevin Rafn at Basement Behavior, he contriubuted synthesizer parts as well, bringing a new harmonic complexity to their sound. All in all, it's the material that shines through any possible nitpick regarding band-tightness, in fact the live-recorded band has a refreshing freedom to it, very welcome in this age of by-the-grid productions.
- To order a CD of Insects of Fairmount Hill, write us.